A good baseline run test can be a great way to retest your fitness every couple months to make sure you are improving. There are also a few other benefits that go without saying. Especially for the all out 5k test.
You can look at and improve:
- Biomechanics (form)- The faster we run the less wasted movement there is. Running faster sometimes helps us identify those inefficiencies.
- It's fairly accurate in predicting longer efforts. Use this calculator to find out what your 5k time predict for other distances up to the marathon.
- It's an aerobic test. Important for the type of running ultra runners are doing.
- It's easy to retest. Just logging the time it took and your HR gives you the data you need.
- Mental toughness. It ain't fun for most, but it'll make you tougher. That is measurable too!